Headlines

Dianna WissingerThe premise behind Smart Beginnings is early childhood learning later leads to a better quality of life.

At the Fluvanna chamber’s monthly Business After Hours meeting (Sept. 20), the featured speaker was Dianna Wissinger, the coordinator for Smart Beginnings in Fluvanna/Louisa.

Add a comment

Read more...

Ken Quantock was led by Selena at Leader Dog School for the Blind in Michigan.Recently, Ken Quantock and his wife Nancy of Lake Monticello had the opportunity to visit the “Leader Dogs for the Blind School” in Rochester, Michigan. Quantock is a member of the Rivanna Lions Club and 1st Vice District Governor for Lions of Virginia, District 24C. The one-day conference introduced them to all aspects of this unique program. For 73 years, Leader Dogs for the Blind has assumed responsibility for breeding, raising puppies, training dogs and matching guide dogs to clients.

Add a comment

Read more...

The Fluvanna Historical Society’s Annual Meeting will be held this year at Solitude on Sunday (Oct. 14) at 3 p.m. Solitude is located on Rt. 53 near the intersection of Rts. 15 and 53. Hosts for the event will be the owners of Solitude, Gene and Jennie Kowalski. The public is invited to attend the meeting.

Add a comment

Read more...

Scott PriceScott Price of Snow’s Garden Center in Charlottesville, spoke to members of the Wildlife Committee and residents regarding gardening and landscaping at Lake Monticello on Wednesday (Sept. 19).

Price, who has been a Lake resident for 20 years, talked to a crowd of gardening enthusiasts about available options and ideas for an appropriate garden landscape. He also added that Snow’s is celebrating 100 years in business this year and also features the longest-running radio show on WINA for gardening tips.

Add a comment

Read more...

Tom Frost at the 175th anniversary celebrationCunningham Methodist church celebrated its 175th anniversary on Sept. 30. More than 146 people attended the service and homecoming luncheon. Pastor Tom Frost and his congregation reminisced about the history of the church built in 1837.

A memory board provided the history of Cunningham’s 175 years. Items on display included a pocket Bible (1839) that belonged to Lucy Ann Jones; a hymn book (1899) belonging to Annie L. Jones; a lawn party ticket from Sept. 17, 1891, and a picture of the church taken in 1916.

Add a comment

Read more...